Ultra Thread is not an "off the shelf" thread as are many others. All of Ultra Thread's characteristics were carefully chosen to enhance its tying performance.
Here are a few of the thread characteristics that make Ultra Thread ideal for fly tying:
(1) We chose nylon because nylon will stretch and grip materials better. This allows for more uniform tension and gives the tyer the "feel" for maximum tension, and makes the fly more durable.
(2) Our thread is flat with only the minimum number of twists needed for production. The flatter the thread is wrapped, the more slowly it builds up.
(3) Ultra Thread has been lightly waxed. This also limits thread build up and gives the thread a smoother, slicker feel. The added benefit is that head cement fully penetrates the thread which equals more durable flies.
(4) Ultra Thread is a multifilament thread that is not bonded. Bonded threads are oval in shape and are stiff or coarse feeling. Bonded threads also build up fast which is a significant concern when tying small flies. Since Ultra Thread is not bonded, it is the best choice for split thread tying techniques.
(5) Our spools are sized and designed to turn smoothly on standard bobbins. Each spool has a color coded end cap for product identification and to secure the tag end of the thread.